Home Buying Guide: Working with a Realtor
Why use a realtor?
Is it necessary to buy a house through a Realtor? Although you are not legally required to, why would you undertake such an important purchase without the help of an expert? The Realtor's expert knowledge of the neighbourhood, future development plans, taxes, zoning, transportation, schools and community services will help you select the property that meets your needs. Your Realtor will also advise you on financing options and recommend other professionals needed to complete the sale. You will be dealing with sellers and their agents, so you want to make sure you have someone who will represent and promote your interests.
As a buyer, your Realtor will:
- Help you determine the type of property you need and can afford.
- Help you find available properties and make appointments to view them.
- Advise you about market conditions and provide information about the community.
- Explain the forms used in a real estate transaction and help you prepare an offer to purchase.
- Present your offer to the seller and negotiate on your behalf.
- Recommend other professionals, such as a certified home inspector or lawyer/notary.
- Help you understand agency relationships.